Monday, January 21, 2008

Back to High School

Beth has been volunteering as a group leader in the high school service at E91 (East 91st Street Christian Church). The church is big enough to have a separate church service for the high schoolers while the main contemporary service is going on in another sanctuary. There are probably 150-200 on a regular basis. She had been working with the sophomore girls but recently was moved to freshman girls.

I helped out once with the sophomore boys and decided that it was not for me. I was having a hard time not thinking about how obnoxious and immature high schoolers are. I went back a few weeks ago because our friend Rachel was speaking to the students about her recent trip to Uganda. I helped out with the sophomore boys again that time and it was a lot better. I was able to laugh off most of their antics and I actually talked to a few of them. I decided to tell the high school pastor that I was willing to continue helping, since he has definitely needed help with all of the age groups. Also I have felt like the bible fellowship that I usually go to while Beth is helping with the teens is not really taking me anywhere. And although it is not advertised in the publications as a singles group, I am the only married person, and it feels awkward at times.

So God totally changed my mind on that one. I think I could enjoy it, and I think God has been preparing me to be in this position of positive influence for a bunch of sexually charged, obnoxious boys. My job entails worshiping with the whole group and the rest of the adult helpers, and then taking attendance when we split into small groups. I also have to lead the group in a discussion about the day's question. Last week it was "If you could switch places with anyone, who would it be and why?" This provoked many very creative answers and nothing that could be turned into a biblical lesson. The break-out groups last about 15 minutes, which is long enough for me to finish attendance (I don't know any of their names yet) , ask the question, and force an answer out of a few of them. Then it is time for them to go back to the main group, like a school bell at the end of the day, and they all cut the conversation off with a knife.

The hardest part about it, is I feel like I am back in high school. Either laughing or rolling my eyes at someone's joke. Generally I feel like one of the shy kids that no one talks to. They don't know me, so usually when I ask a question they stop just long enough to look at me, and then turn back to the person next to them to talk about anything but God.

It is going to be a challenging period of growth for me.

I had a revelation while trying to think about what would make me cool. And it dawned on me that a lot of them have to like Ultimate Frisbee. So when it gets warmer, that is going to be my ministry. I will let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Douglas Sindelar said...

For the past year, Jodi and I have been doing "wamba land" which is the 2 year olds.. an experience that never truly sat well with me. I always felt like I would be far more at home with middle school or high schoolers.

Sure- after 10 mins. of playing with a toy those kids love you and think your some magical jungle gym put in the room simply for their entertainment, but there is no connection.

I've spoken with a good friend who was half time starbucks/ half time missionary over in ohio.. and it seems to me that "ice breakers" constitute about 90% of the work. In your 15 min sit downs, I don't feel like ANY talk of christ should be brought up by you. Of course if someone brings it up, you can jump on it like southern' folk at a BBQ... but from working at church camps getting them to "like" you is step one, and step two can't happen till then.

Also, you don't need to "one of the guys" liked... you don't need to be in on the inside jokes.. or think everything they do is funny.. but you get the drift.

Adam said...

Getting your group to like you is important, but I would further define "like" as respect and trust. They don't have to feel like I am one of the boys, but they do need to trust me and respect my opinion. This definitely opens up the doors to deeper conversations.

However, if Christ is not the base of all of my discussions and interactions with those boys, regardless of whether or not they like me, then what am I doing there? I feel like that would be missing a chance to witness. Even if it is hard to swallow for some of those who are currently too "cool" to have deep discussions about faith.